geosynthetic clay liners
- A manufactured hydraulic barrier consisting of clay (sodium bentonite) bonded to a layer or layers of geosynthetics
- Typically 3.0 to 6.0 kg/m2 sodium bentonite clay
- Very low permeability
- Self-healing if punctured
- Replaces compacted clay liners
- Hydraulically equivalent to 0.6 meters of compacted clay in many applications
- GCLs can be installed in extreme temperatures that would prevent compaction of a clay liner
- May be limited due to weather constraints for overlying geomembrane welding
Why is bentonite a good
liner material ?
- It swells when hydrated
- Bentonite swells up to 15 times its original volume if unconfined.
- Bentonite expands and conforms to irregular surfaces, penetrations, and infiltrates cracks and voids.
- We can provide GCLs for contractors
- We can provide a turnkey solution
- GCLs are factory-controlled materials, with uniform bentonite distribution and hydraulic performance